Here it is- my new logo.
To unveil my new logo, I didn’t want to just post it directly, and rather than do a traditional development sheet - I decided to create an animation showing the process of how I designed my logo - from initially altering my name and initials with paper and pencil, to transferring that digitally with several variations and alterations I came across. Showcasing my new logo in this medium also demonstrates my 2D animation skills. Although obliviously this takes longer to create than a development sheet, I believe presenting my logo with this medium, in effect promotes itself.
The logo reflects the shape of a pencil, my main tool in all of my animation and design work, constructed of course, with my initials. I wanted it to be nice and simple - black and white , which in turn represents my company and my designs. The stroke style chosen is ideal, it represents a hard pencil and this can clearly be seen but it still maintains a simplistic look that isn’t too harsh on the eyes but also still gives that effect.
The line in the middle of the ‘F’ was shifted over slightly, this was to give more emphasis of the pencil shape, but upon looking at it closely it looks like it could possibly be a mouth on the pencil… give it some eyes, and…
…it looks like my character from my very first Flanamation video: The Case Escape, which I really like, and is sort of a subtle in-joke, so my logo has really come full circle.
To maintain the overall simplistic look, I chose a font called Penelope Anne, it’s a tall, thin and clear font that also works well with the logo without taking away the attention of it.
I animated it all in Flash over the course of around 3 months, I also used After Effects for the exploding pencil/bulb section and finally composited it all in Premiere Pro, using sound effects I’d recorded myself alongside Royalty-free sounds and a soundtrack I commissioned especially for this, by a music producer called: Sassquatch Instrumentals.
I called it ‘Hands’ because of all the obvious hands used throughout which obviously represent my actual hands (the hand drawn section) and a hand cursor (the digital section). For the shots of the real hand, I took a burst short of my hand doing that movement and then rotoscoped each picture, this was a very time consuming process - as rotoscoping is , but I am extremely happy with the final result and it was definitely worth the time and effort I put into it.